Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Little quicky baby post.

This really actually isn't anything very long and exciting, but I found it humorous, so I thought I would share it with you, because I love you guys that much.
Or because I'm rabidly desperate for attention. You decide.

If any of you have ever used Google Translate, you are probably aware that although it is a highly useful tool, especially if you feel like cheating on your Spanish project, it is not exactly foolproof, because (A) not all phrases/words fit together the same way as in other languages and (B) you have no way to tell what you're actually saying... otherwise you wouldn't be using the program.
One of the things I enjoy doing at my friend's house when she is out of food is translating things into another language and then back into English. Surprise surprise... it doesn't come out the same.
I will give her credit for this discovery.


For example. I chose to use, in this case, the pledge of allegiance, but if you want to make things even more complex, you should use a longer piece of historic American documentation or something by Lady Gaga.
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

Now translate it. Do not ask me why... but Japanese works best.
 "私はアメリカ合衆国の国旗に、そしてそれはすべてのために自由と正義と、不可分の、神の下、一国の略のための共和国に忠誠を誓う."

Now translate it back.
"I have the national flag of the United States, and it is with liberty and justice for all, indivisible, under God, loyalty to the republic for almost a country."
Try throwing that one at your teacher in fourth grade history.

The end. Have a nice day.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment