Saturday, May 19, 2012

Today, therapy > entertainment. Sorry.

Well.
I'm sitting in the 2002 Winter Olympic and Alf Engen Ski Museum Coffee Shop.
It is also probably worth mentioning that I'm in Utah. 
Blogging.
I mean, I still don't know what curling is, so they definitely didn't do a good enough job. But I know who Alf Engen is. And you're about to, once the Wikipedia article in the next tab loads. See? Isn't he cool? I know ALL about him.


This fortnight past, I've been on a trip around the southwestern portion of the United States, singing my heart out with my women's choir and spreading the joy of music to whoever frequents our concerts.
In other words, I've been stuck on a bus with fifty chicks for two weeks.


Bethany mentioned today as we made our way over to this establishment that the influx of girl talk has caused us all to be thinking way too much about weddings and okay really this is completely irrelevant but apparently this coffee shop has never made a vanilla chai tea drink until today. I guess history is just meant to happen here. Regardless. We talked about girl talk (which I guess means we did girl talk, which is ironic in some obscure way) and how it's making us think way more about things like boys and flowers, and then she said something really deep about how flowers bring joy because they are life that can't be captured by words, and I naturally I stopped talking because everything I said after that sounded stupid.


But she's right. About both things, but right now I'm talking about the...talking. Girls and guys together make for good conversation dynamics, because they don't just bring two different perspectives, they bring two different sets of common sense. Girls like to plan their weddings so that they have a good idea of what to do when the big day actually comes. Guys don't because, heck, we're eighteen and why would we be planning it now? We're not getting married until...later. (This is why falling in love is so crucial, because it gives them motivation to do things for your wedding, and that's why grooms don't show up in jeans and work boots unless they're short on cash or immoderately hipster.)
Girls also talk about falling in love a lot. They talk about how many kids they want. What they'll name them. What ethnicity they want to adopt them from. Who they'll have them with. What they want in a husband. What they used to want in a husband. What they'll probably end up with. How they'll get married. When they'll get married. What job he'll have. What car they'll be able to afford. Whether or not they're comfortable driving a mini van. How many kids will fit in a mini van. How many kids they want...
Dizzy yet? You shouldn't be. It's like MASH for bored grownups. Anyway, that all happens, and that's kind of the shorthand...
The really really short shorthand is that girls talk about themselves until their opinions start clashing. Then they talk to someone else about the other person.


As you may be able to tell from this post and ones previous, I have difficulties dealing with women, particularly in large quantities. Which is why I was so surprised that this tour went as well as it did, because I became so close to so many people and gained respect through understanding the pasts and consequently the behaviors of all of them. And all of them were girls. 
Weird.


Last night, unfortunately, it just became a little too much, and I called a friend in desperate need of a man to talk to, not because the relationship talk made me rabidly interested in one, but because if I didn't hear a voice that wasn't at least two octaves below mine, I would probably faint. It helped, but not enough.


So I wrote this.


I really really like trees. Big, tall green ones. Most trees are like that. I like hamsters and sometimes I go into pet stores to stare at them. I spend too much money when I'm with my friends. I want to be a scuba diver and I hate sharks. Sharks only kill two people a year. My favorite food is strawberries. My favorite subatomic particle is a quark, but electrons are pretty. The kids behind me can spell the F word. I want to drink tea out of a mason jar every day because the Russian person in my Exodus class did and I want to be her. I'm scared of horses, but not cows. I used to hate onions but they really aren't that bad; I'm still working on tomatoes. People that hog the spotlight make my neck hurt. Chai tea is okay. It tastes like pumpkin pie if pumpkin pie was a juice. I go barefoot. I wish I played an obscure sport or the piano. I'm probably going to have a lazy eye because I never wear my glasses. I miss my dog. She pees too much. The other day I called my dad to ask him about a song because I missed hearing him sing. My favorite basketball player is my little brother, and my favorite football player is my other brother, who also plays hockey and soccer. I like being intellectual. I like reading books because they make me feel intellectual.
I also won't post this on Facebook because I don't think it's good enough.
That's all for now. I have a call time to make and I'm tired and I don't know what to say anymore and trying to be funny is exhausting.
Have a lovely day and I'll be home soon.


Much love,
Lydia

No comments:

Post a Comment